Day 1 | Internalizing the Truth
“Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.” (Ps. 119:18)
We have one enemy and his name is Satan who has one weapon against us. That weapon is to get us to believe something that is not true about ourselves or about God. In short, his only weapon is to get us to believe lies. Because of this, we must be diligent in our quest for truth so that we can see a lie quickly and thoroughly.
The best and most pure source of truth is the Bible. God has revealed himself through the Bible. God has revealed who we are through the Bible. This week we will look at several ways that we can expose ourselves to the truth of the Bible. Each day we will look at a different way to internalize the truth that is contained in the Bible. Each of these ways has a different effect, some will come more natural to you than others, but each is valuable and each has a significant impact. I want to urge you to engage with each of them with the idea that we are trying to apprehend truth so that we can endure the deceitful attacks of our enemy.
In these 40 days, we have two goals and we want these goals to be in the front of our minds at all times. We will be redundant in the articulation of these goals.
- First, we want to lead you to engage in the spiritual disciplines that we will talk about. We do not want you to simply learn what each discipline is, we want you to engage in that discipline.
- Secondly, the over-arching goal of spiritual disciplines is to get God. Pure relationship with God is what you were created for and is the pathway to purpose and joy.
Read Psalm 19:7-11 (ESV)
7 The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; 8 the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; 9 the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. 11 Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
Take sometime now to pray for the next 40 days:
- Ask God to allow you to apprehend him, to know him more intimately.
- Confess where you haven’t treasured him or his Word.
- Admit where you’ve struggled to believe the Bible and and submit your life to it.
- Pray Ps. 19:7-11 above.
- Pray Ps. 119:18 – “Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.”
Thanks for reading and joining in this journey with us. See you tomorrow.
Audio versions of all #40daysNC content can be found on our podcast.