| Click here for an audio version of this post. |
Day 4 | Listening to the Bible
“Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.” (Ps. 119:18)
Today, we want you to listen to the Word of God. You can do this in one of two ways.
1. Listen to the Bible being read.
There are lots of apps out there that will do this, find one you like and on your drive to work or maybe during a workout, just listen. Just like we did a couple of days ago, listen to large chunks and look for over-arching themes. Try not to get bogged down in the details of verses. Here are a few great passages to listen to:
“We can only know God and see him rightly through knowing and internalizing his Word.”
- The Psalms – 16, 63, 84, 91, 119, 130.
- The story of Joseph – Genesis 37-50.
- The story of salvation – Romans 3-8
- The Sermon on the Mount – Matthew 5-7
2. Listen to the Bible being taught.
Find a podcast from a trusted pastor and listen to them preach consistently. Here are a few of our favorites, two local and two national guys.
- John Ryan at Summit Community Church (O’Fallon, MO) – John is a local guy who has invested in us and helped to launch North Church.
- Kenny Petty at The Gate Church (University City, MO) – Kenny has shared his story at North Church before and brings an engaging fresh take from a different cultural perspective.
- Matt Chandler at The Village Church (Dallas, TX) – Chandler is one of the best and most engaging Bible teachers around.
- Scott Sauls at Christ Presbyterian Church (Nashville, TN) – Scott preaches with a gentleness that pushes his hearers into the culture with charity and hope. He is also a great follow on twitter (@scottsauls).
We’d love to hear your favorite Bible teachers as well as any specific strategies you have for internalizing God’s word. Comment on the blog or email us. We are praying for you on this journey. Have a great day!
*Let us know what God is doing in this journey by leaving a comment on our blog or emailing us.
*Audio versions of all #40daysNC content can be found on our podcast.