| Click here for an audio version of this post. |
Day 20 | Practical thoughts on Evangelism
Today we conclude the discipline of evangelism that we have been looking at for the past week. We want to give you few more practical thoughts on finding the “person of peace” that we talked about yesterday. Go back and check it out if you missed it. Today, we will also look at one of the most profound and liberating verses in the Bible when it comes to our topic of evangelism.
First, here are 5 practical ways to help discern “people of peace” in our lives.
Person of Peace = “someone who is prepared to hear the message of the kingdom and the King.”
- Time– not every sphere of society is open to the gospel…there are times for sowing and times for reaping (Jn 4:34-38). “I planted, Apolos watered, but God gave the growth.” (1 Cor 3:6)
- Team– a community of believers on mission together where people of peace can see the love of Christ in action but also this team can help identify a person of peace.
- Target– it’s about being spiritually strategic (spirit-led)…finding people of peace and not wasting time trying to force what isn’t natural.
- Task– the goal is to find this person of peace.
- They welcome you (Mt.10:14).
- They listen to you (and in turn are listening to Jesus) (Lk 10:16).
- They serve or support you (Mt. 10:10).
- Trouble– we will come across people who are not people of peace…they will cause trouble…it’s not “if” this will happen but “when.”
Second, here is today’s “Gospel Verse.” This is one of the most liberating truths in all of the Bible. It should allow our hearts to rest in our acceptance, but also put a fire in our souls to proclaim its amazingly good news.
Romans 8:1 (ESV)
8 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
If you are a Christian, then you are holy and blameless before God. Everything needed for relationship with God for all time was accomplished, sealed and provided for you when Jesus died on the cross. Sin brings condemnation, but Jesus defeated condemnation by his perfect life, death and resurrection.
You have been adopted as a child of God with all the rights and privileges of a child. They are yours completely and fully. You have been fully accepted, more than you could ever imagine. You are fully loved, more than you could ever hope. You have never been more fully loved and accepted than you are in this very moment.
This is the gospel, this is evangelism. Preach it to yourself and to people of peace around you. Have a good day.
Also, join us tomorrow as we introduce our next transformational discipline, repentance.
To dive deeper about “People of Peace,” check out this video on “How to Preach to People of Peace” by Jo Saxton
*Let us know what God is doing in this journey by leaving a comment on Facebook or the blog or by emailing us.
*Audio versions of all #40daysNC content can be found on our podcast.
*Have you seen all the #40daysNC videos? Check them out on our Vimeo page.